My stack of cards is getting a bit silly but as a big time 91+ day card point enthusiast who tries not to cancel cards if I can be persuaded to keep them, they do tend to build up a bit. I have my current credit score and chart up and where my number is after my last round!

Now on to why, what & results of this latest round. Everyone should have their own goals when they get cards. My goals should not be your goals. I have so many points right now that I am having a hard time spending them and while having millions of points sounds great, with all the devaluations of points going on, this is NOT smart. So I am trying to burn as much as I can at a good redemption rate.

Clearly I am all about Delta. Delta Points, Delta status, Delta Delta Delta! In that regard, one of my current goals is getting cards that will let me get to mileage run start cites, that is, to be able to reposition AND to earn Delta RDM’s & MQM’s for the reposition flights, but at the same time not pay or pay full price for these (I am up to 60,000 FlexPerks points now for just this reason). Another goal is to go for cards I have not had as I have almost ALL of them! I also wanted to avoid AMEX and CHASE this round as I have way too many of their cards for right now. So goal two was avoid these two banks and that’s hard since most of the best deals are from them. I also am working on HUGE spend totals on my personal and business AMEX Reserve cards for this year trying to get to $90,000 total; so I just can not do any cards that require say $5000 in spend to get the points this round. Last goal was experimentation and testing. This should NOT be a goal for you (unless you too run a blog).

So there is the background. As mentioned, I only got ONE approval instantly. The other 3 cards I had to call each bank’s reconsideration / application status line and talk to a person to see about approvals. I never, ever wait. I apply on a weekday and then call the next weekday to find out what is up. I want approvals as fast as I can get them. I have no fear in calling as all my info is correct and in front of me. I recommend you do the same. If something is wrong on the app you can fix it right away and get the card on the way to you. I have all the phone numbers you need at the bottom of the Best Points Cards tab. So what cards did I get:

• Card one was Citi Business AA 30,000 point card. I have almost 200k AA now and 140k USAIR so another 30k works and the key on this one is just $1000 spend to get the points. There is a 50,000 point business VISA link out in the wild, but I don’t have $5000 in spend to get that one!

• Card two was the Barclays 20,000 point Barclaycard Arrival World Mastercard. For 18,000 points (after 10% point credit back) I will get $200 off a Delta ticket to fly to a reposition city and I only have to spend $1000 (now $3000) to get the points. I will earn RDM’s & MQM’s on the flight I would otherwise have to spend Skymiles to get done. I currently have 2 US Air cards so I had to have them close the one, move the $6000 in credit from that old card, and was approved for a new card with $10,000 credit. Plus, I have never used TripIT Pro and readers are saying it is great. I get it free for a year. OK that works.

• Card three was the 25,000 Bank of American Alaska Airlines card (not my link btw) and the points are after approval so ZERO spend but I will spend something on the card. I have several BofA cards right now. One of my oldest is an NCL card (hate to admit that, but I got it a LONG time ago). I got an Alaska card when they had the 35k offer but that one has not been out for a while now so this one worked. I had them move $10,000 in credit line from my NCL that I will never ever use to approve this new Alaska card. But, approved also!

• Card four was a Capital One Venture One card via their card finder tool. This is by no means a great bonus. I like and have the standard Venture card and do use it now and then but this one was a test for me and not an AMEX or CHASE card; the funny thing is it was the only one with instant approval. I will get $100 after spending just $1000 to apply to a Delta repositioning flight to earn RDM’s & MQM’s. I would like to see Capital One bump these bonus deal up to 20-40,000 points to make them a good value card to apply for.

So there is my latest round and results. I am still 100% approvals for ALL MY CARDS I have ever applied for. Some of the fun things the reps said along the way during the status calls were ( again did not say was just thinking this – CLEAR):

“Why have you requested so much credit over the past year”
Cuz I want all the points you are willing to give me!

“You have done an excellent job managing your credit”
Y-Yes I have to earn millions of points and 1st class travel!

“Allow me to put you on a brief hold while I conduct a review of your credit”
Oh would I love to see them notice just how many cards I have open :-)

Happy points seeking weekend everyone and hope to see you on a Delta flight soon!

28 Responses to “Time for a Credit Card Round; Only 1 instant approval. Did I get them all done?”

1. DaninSTL says:

So what is your actual response when they ask why you need more credit cards? Just wondering.

2. asdfasd says:

I won’t ever get a C1 card unless it’s like that match your miles 100k promo. They pull every agency. Total jerks they are. 3 inquiries for $100 is not worth it in my opinion.

@DaninSTL – I run a bunch of small biz. I blog, I run a computer shop, I also custom build golf clubs in the summer time. I sell stuff (including custom clubs) on ebay. It is nice to have many cards to choose from to spend on.

4. pawtim says:

I abstained from Chase with my last churn, too. It’s painful, but you’ve just got to do that every once in a while.

5. Jared says:

I like my sapphire card

6. dot cahill says:

ditto for sapphire or my fallback plat amex now if only amex(gold and delta skymiles) would stop trying to debit my checking account when i send them physical checks what a hassle ongoing for 6 weeks with them

7. Chris says:

Chase BA. I live and work in USA, but Chase BA will take me back to the country that I grew up in.

8. Al says:

Have you had the citi aa card before? If yes, how long was the period between your cancel n your application today?

@AI – I have, it has been more than 18 months since I got it first time. Unlike DELTA where it is close date, with Citi it is OPEN date. I also have changed my old AA cards over to the NO fee Thank you program cards.

10. Sid says:

I like the chase Marriott card

11. brenda says:

I like Chase Sapphire card.

12. P T says:

Rene, what are the annual fees for the card offers you mentioned?

@PT – Citi is ZERO year 1 then I switch to no fee Thank you card, Barclays is Zero year one, will see what I do year two. Alaska is $75 but worth it to me for 25k points. The CapOne card has no fee ever.

14. JOsh says:

How many cards is “too many” in your opinion?

15. globe trotter says:

Do you have the link to Citi Business Card for 50K points. I have been looking for a legit link, hopefully with a landing page that clearly says so, for weeks now but unable to find it. Thanks

@globe Trotter – no all the ones I saw did NOT have a landing page so you have to trust it will work.

@JOsh – hummm kinda like cookies. When it hurts it is too much. I have, uh, with Lisa, about 35 now. about 15 with Chase. With AMEX, I play if very careful to avoid any chance at the Financial Review. I have my Delta goals with AMEX so am happy to play with those and SPG mostly.

18. JohnHace says:

Rene, what are the advantages/disadvantages of getting Skymiles and RDMs/MQMs split between husband and wife? I would have thought it best to get them all on one person. I thought that when a PM gets an upgrade, usually the spouse traveling with them would upgrade also.

19. Jeneene says:

Chase INK plus is my favorite.

20. Brabbit says:

I just completed the Spanish Inquisition (read: Financial Review) last month

@JohnHace – GREAT question and a personal one. Yes, one PAID tickets, your wife/husband, will “coat tail” and upgrade 24hrs after all other medallions have cleared. But, on a Skymiles ticket, NO upgrades. If you BOTH make GOLD then yes you both upgrade at the GOLD window even if you are PM or DM (unless you split the PNR). But, if you make DM, you can gift her gold. Another reason for more AMEX Reserve cards each ;-)

22. Michael H.(oldfox) says:

I love the Chase Sapphire (Preferred)! Just got the annual bonus a few weeks ago. Great feature.

23. Doug says:

Do you have a link to a more information about Amex and avoiding financial reviews.

@Doug – I don’t but one day should do a post on that. So much of that info is hush-hush.

25. [...] really hated not going for any AMEX cards in my last churn but we all have our own goals. If you are thinking about a churn, be sure to check the following [...]

26. [...] went for the 20,000 point Barclays World Arrival Mastercard card with my last churn and have just got the points. So, I was hopping, they would consider bumping up my bonus since they [...]

27. J.Ludwig says:

So I got the United Milage Explorer card-30000 points . Reading the card member agreement I notice that “These points will never expire ASLONG AS YOU KEEP THE CARD. If I want to churn and avoid 2 nd year fees ,the card will have to go . That would mean need to use those points BEFORE I cancel the card -correct?