This week Delta announced it’s 49% stake in Virgin Atlantic airlines Delta hopes to be complete by the END of 2013!  This is much more than say the partnership with Hawaiian or Alaska airlines. You can read about all the partners HERE on Delta.com.

If approved by the DOT the nice part about this, in addition to many more options to Europe and a very good business class product, there should be no worries about earning full RDM & MQM for all classes of service that one does have to worry about on other Skyteam partners like Aeroflot the Russian airline! Also, as part owners of Virgin Atlantic, award space should not be limited like it is with other Skyteam partners and any schedule changes should be fine on any DL or VA birds since they are saying the partnership will become a “metal neutral” deal. That is good news for us who love to earn and burn frequent flyer miles.

There has been a TON of discussion and speculation as to what this will mean by my fellow BoardingArea.com bloggers as you can see:

• pointsmilesandmartinis HERE
  • viewfromthewing HERE
  • ghettoife HERE
  • onemileatatime HERE

I am jazzed about this and see only good things for us Delta flyers. All the details are FAR from being certain at this point, we should clearly understand, and even Delta in the official release said in the Q&A part that “More details will be announced in the future“.

So what do you think? Are you looking forward to this? What are the pros & cons you see? I am no DOT expert, if you are do you see any issues for Delta that could hurt or help us? Shout out and let us know! – Rene

Join the 1500+ Delta Points daily e-mail subscribers

9 Responses to “Understanding Delta partners & Virgin Atlantic airlines purchase”

1. Sam says:

As far as earning points, does this mean you dont have to fly a code share to get the points, you can book a ticket on either metal and still get the full points, just add your number when you book?

Sam

@Sam – again, it is so early we will know more later but that is the way it would seem at this point. Thus the “metal neutral” statement. The bigger part could be, unlike KLM, say a schedule change happens, Delta may be able to force the seats where as on skymiles with Delta on KLM space must still be there. Can’t wait to see!

3. Sam says:

This will give me more choices out of Boston, so I am looking forward to this!

Thanks!

4. One.step.closer.to.beloved.fuel.surcharges

I predict beloved rev based announcement in 2013:-)

You can fly DL but you can not hide

@TBB – just cuz 50 people say it is raining, does not make it so on a sunny day. I know from insiders, for a fact, some of the info is just wrong. We will see. IMO 2013 will be the same as 2012. Any changes will not happen until the 2014 Skymiles year (if even then). – Rene

6. MarkJ says:

As a Delta Diamond I welcome Virgin Atlantic. I have flown several times on BA in First to LHR and I look forward to flying Virgin Upper Class.

If you like digging into details about Delta I recommend reading the transcript of their Investor Day presentation made yesterday:
    -hosts-investor-day-conference-transcript

7. What I meant was: announcement in 2013 for changes to be effective in 2014. I hope I am wrong!

8. Nina says:

I had flown Virgin when they were the
    Entertainment innovators and my then young children received fab back packs filled with greaties!
    They made me an herbal concoction to inhale,when my ears were misbehaving during landing- it’s been a long time since I’ve flown
    Virgin and am looking forward to it
    So long as all of my rights, perquisites and comforts are ever present
    It is interesting news
    I wonder what it all means
    But
    Am working hard to stay in the moment
    For survival
    About 9-12 months before my condo might be ready and safe for my return
    For now looking for little sun beams to get me through
    I’m happy I read and wrote tonight
    It’s been too long
    And I hope all are well and happy
    Namaste

@Nina – thank you for sharing your update with the blog! Many of us are thinking of you and those in your area often! – Rene